EarthShakerDS has had two releases since the last post. Here’s the latest:
At this point, the game is complete. All levels are in place, a host of bugs have been squashed, everything seems to work as expected, the code is commented and there’s not much left that could be refactored.
I’m quite pleased with the outcome. One of my homebrew heroes is Richard Quirk, who has written about half a dozen fantastic remakes of Spectrum games for the GBA and NDS (and, most recently, Android). I’ve tried to achieve the same level of polish and communicate the same level of affection for the source material that Quirky gets across with his remakes. I don’t know if I succeeded, but I certainly enjoyed the attempt.
All that remains to do is a level editor.
EDIT: Although I commit to source control a lot - Mercurial has changed the way I code more than anything else I can think of - I tend to only commit working code. That means it’s easy to get a working build from just about any revision of the EarthShakerDS repository. I went through a dozen or so revisions at random, built them, and stuck them in the zip below. It’s interesting to see how the game grew and developed over time.