Here’s an update to HankyAlien:
- Big refactor of the dirty rect erasing system to make it much cleaner and faster (it had zero effect on observable performance, though);
- Added an ARGB8888 frame buffer for massive SDL performance gains;
- Number of extra lives is limited to 5;
- Sound system is started up when the game is loaded, not when the first sound is played (slight SDL performance improvement);
- UFO sound loops on DS as the UFO moves across the screen;
- Restored the “Simian Zombie” intro screen that was accidentally disabled in the first release;
- Difficulty gradually increases as player completes each wave of aliens;
- Fixed flickering score titles;
- Improved the ship explosion animation.
Getting the UFO sound working was far more involved than it should have been. The only way to loop sounds in Maxmod, the NDS homebrew audio library of choice, is to add loop markers to the WAV file. Unfortunately the standard for loop markers in the WAV format is either badly documented or badly designed, because almost nothing supports it (certainly no OSX sound editors that I could find). Maxmod offers no way to know when a sound has finished playing so there’s no easy way to make the sound loop (short of counting frames and replaying the sample when we think it should have stopped based on its length). In fact, the only way to achieve a looped sample is to load up MilkyTracker, set up a loop in the sample editor, then make a virtually empty XM mod that loops. Insane. The mod approach worked, but for some reason the mod wouldn’t stop playing when told to do so. Eventual solution? Copy-and-paste in a sample editor to extend the length of the sample so it lasts as long as the UFO’s traversal of the screen.
More HankyAlien trivia follows…
It took a year to develop the game, but that included only a few weeks of real work. According to the Git logs, there was a six month stretch where I didn’t touch it at all. I only have time for coding or writing, not both, hence the lack of a regular game diary during its development.
I completely forgot about Grit (the bitmap conversion utility supplied with devKitARM) so I painstakingly created all of the graphics except for the title screen in SublimeText as grids of 5 digit ARGB1555-format integers.
Back-porting bits of WoopsiGfx to C exposed some interesting bugs, including:
- The DMA-enabled copy routines never use the DMA hardware because of a broken bounds check.
- The hash function used in Woopsi’s bonus hash table class has a copy-and-paste error that means it always returns a wrong value.
Up until a few seconds before I released the first version of the game, there was no code to handle the situation in which the aliens collide with the player. Oops.
The name comes from my youthful mispronunciation of “Heiankyo Alien” back when the Game Boy was the handheld to own. I figured there should be a game called “Hanky Alien”.
The game is really just a test of the library. It was originally going to be a remake of Ultimate’s Atic Atac, but I changed my mind before I got too far along.
Including the libraries it is testing, HankyAlien weighs in at around 25,000 lines of code.