2016-10-10

HankyAlienDC

A few more evenings of reorganising things for the Dreamcast and here’s HankyAlienDC:

HankyAlienDC

The archive contains a .elf version that will run in lxdreams, and presumably other emulators, and a .bin version that will run via an SD adaptor and DreamShell RC4. It will presumably run if you somehow burn it to a CD, but it’s been so long since I’ve made a CD of Dreamcast homebrew that I’ve completely forgotten how to do it. Plus I’m on a different OS and don’t have an optical drive any more.

There are still a few issues to be fixed:

  • The colors are wrong. The components in DS pixels are ordered ABGR; DC pixels are ordered ARGB.
  • Elements at the top and bottom of the screen are cropped out. The display is set to 320x240@60Hz, but of course NTSC TVs don’t display 240 vertical pixels; they display 200.
  • There’s no sound yet.

Here’s my Dreamcast test hardware, acquired from Amazon and eBay:

Dreamcast

Things I was surprised to learn about the Dreamcast:

  • There were multiple revisions of the hardware. The final US revision doesn’t support homebrew because Sega removed support for the “Mil-CD” multimedia disc format that had enabled all piracy on the system. There was only one PAL revision, which did support Mil-CD, which explains why I’d never heard of incompatible hardware before.
  • On a modern flatscreen TV - or at least, on my TV - the quality of the composite video output is awful. Really, really awful.
  • The performance of the emulator isn’t at all representative of the performance of the hardware.