Things have been a little quiet here recently. I am pushing ever westward; this time I moved from sunny Littleton, Colorado, to the equally-sunny Mountain View, California. I’m close enough to Google’s headquarters to be able to see their city-wide free wifi on my laptop, but far enough away that I can’t use it.
Relocation is something of a theme. The little coding time I’ve had has mainly been spent moving repositories from Mercurial/BitBucket to Git/GitHub so that I can hang out with the cool kids. Actually, I’ve been using Git exclusively for about five months and find that, when I do need to use Mercurial, I can’t remember how it works. Within the repositories, I’ve done some relocating too: consolidating DS and SDL code.
SDL2 was released not too long ago and I thought I’d have a play and see if it offered anything new. It seems the most important change for my SDL projects was the inclusion of automatic texture format conversion within the library itself, meaning it has built-in support for converting and displaying bitmaps in ARGB1555 format. This means that all of my DS projects no longer need to keep track of two bitmaps - one in ARGB8888 and one in ARGB1555 format - when in SDL mode.
Upgrading to SDL2 has allowed me to merge the SDL and DS codebases together, meaning I now have a single repository that will build for the DS and OSX out of the box. Getting them to build in Windows and Linux should be trivial. Additionally, the makefiles for the DS versions all work with the latest devkitARM. Something must have changed in the build system as all of the makefiles were broken.
In other news, I’ve been tinkering with Woopsi again. The complex, C#-inspired
EventArgs system is out and I replaced it with the set of arguments that are relevant to each event. Gadgets no longer support multiple event handlers; each can now have just a single handler. Much tidier.