I spent a productive morning revamping the Simian Zombie web server. Goodbye Ubuntu; hello FreeBSD.
Every other time I’ve upgraded Ubuntu things stop working or it refuses to boot at all, including my most recent attempt to move from 18.10 to 19.something. 20.04 has been out for months and the server was way behind. If I was going to waste hours tediously fiddling with abstruse config files I figured I might as well learn something new.
Along the way I ditched the Super Foul Egg and Woopsi websites. Neither code base is maintained, and the 32-bit build of SFE available from the site doesn’t run on recent releases of macOS anyway.
Also, I’ve enabled SSL. Last time I tried that it was a disaster, but this time the setup was pretty easy.