If you haven’t been following this thread lately, you won’t be aware of Woopsi’s latest contributor, Lakedaemon. He’s doing a fantastic job of introducing two new, much sought-after features to Woopsi - unicode (UTF-8) and TrueType font support.
Both features seem to work well. Both of these features have pros and cons, which I’ve been contemplating a lot lately. Unicode support, for example, has a very negative impact upon random access within strings. Unicode is a variable width encoding system, so there is no way to locate a random character within a string without first parsing all of the bytes that come before the character. However, Woopsi doesn’t really do much random string access, so this is not a huge problem.
The real issue with supporting extra character sets is the amount of memory consumed by each string. As a variable width system, UTF-8 uses single bytes for the standard
ASCII set and so the problem is a non-issue.
In order to have system-wide support for UTF-8, all gadgets that have previously worked with char arrays must be altered to work with the WoopsiString instead. This implies some overhead, which is unavoidable, but as support for non-ASCII character sets is one of the most requested features for Woopsi, I think we can live with it.
Supporting TrueType fonts is more complex. Lakedaemon has used the FreeType library. It looks like a solid project and is dual licenced under the GPL and MIT licences. The MIT licence is basically the BSD licence with a different name, so there are no legal problems with using it. However, it does make the build process more complicated, and it adds substantial bulk to the size of a Woopsi ROM file. The TrueType font must be loaded from the flash disk, so the ROM must be linked with libfat, further adding to the ROM size.
I haven’t tried out a Woopsi GUI that uses TrueType fonts yet, but I’m guessing that it will be slower than a simple bitmap font-based GUI. FreeType is designed for embedded devices, however, which may mean that the difference in performance isn’t noticeable.
Bearing these points in mind, I think I’ll add TrueType support as an optional extra that can be enabled in the makefile. I’m not sure how that’s going to work yet; it may be that I split Woopsi into two pre-compiled libraries, one of which is lightweight (no libfat/freetype) and one of which is heavyweight (libfat and freetype enabled).
Someone using a TrueType font as their system font will soon come across an interesting problem - the glyphs on their buttons (close gadgets, screen flip gadgets, radio buttons, etc) will be drawn as characters, not images. The reason for this is that the glyphs are stored in the extended ASCII portion of the bitmap fonts. At this point, it has clearly become a bad idea, and I’ll need to split the glyphs into a separate glyph font. It is unlikely that anyone will want two or more glyph fonts active at once, so I’ll make the glyph font a global variable initialised in the woopsifuncs files. It’ll be user-definable, just like the system font.
Aside from that, I’ve made a couple of other fixes. I’ve removed the “raisesEvents” flag from the Gadget class, as that is now handled by the GadgetEventHandlerList class. The setRaisesEvents() and raisesEvents() functions interact with the GadgetEventHandlerList instance correctly, which has fixed a glitch in the ScrollingPanel. The ScrollingPanel::raiseScrollEvent() method refers to the GadgetEventHandler’s isEnabled() function to see if events should be enabled or not.
Finally, the FontBase class now includes a getCharHeight() method, which should hopefully help out Lakedaemon’s desire to support variable-height rows of text.